Saturday, August 2, 2008

Summer Flowers





Mini Hollyhocks and Roses. It doesn't get much better than than. Most people who have rose bushes choose reds and pinks. I wanted to be different and pick peachy/apricot tones with blue accent flowers. Of course we all know how difficult blue flowers are to find so you basically just try to find colors close to it. I must warn you about these little hollyhocks, those little seeds germinate everywhere!! Be careful when planting these sweet little plants. I now find them growing in the craziest places throughout my yard. I know someone who planted them in a big whiskey barrel and I think that is a great idea.
The roses on my arbor are climbers. I bought root roses which I highly recommend. When I planted these roses they were about 5'" tall. By end of summer they were prolific and fully blooming. These particular roses have to be constantly trimmed though. I easily cut 100' off a season on these two climbers. It almost seems like that is all I do is trim these roses. I almost wish I had just planted a clematis or passion flower vine on the arbor instead. I have since taken one rose bush out and have added a clematis plant on each side. I think I get bored and enjoy changing flowers around. For now it is just to darn hot to be playing in the yard.

No comments: