Saturday, August 9, 2008

Red Oak II

This was once the Black Smith Shop now a photography studio for Lowell's daughter. She does beautiful work. All his children are very creative.


This is Lowell's house. The crazy green part is actually part of Belle Starr's home. He added a log cabin to it to make it a big bigger. Belles home is his art studio.

This is called the Mother in law's house. It over looks a pond. It was built as a playhouse for the kids.




A Victorian style house once a Bed & Breakfast. When I worked there it was Pink!


This log cabin at one time was a Bed & Breakfast. I cleaned this cabin many times when I worked there. It is now a private home.


An old Route 66 gas station that was moved and fixed up. Most of the buildings at Red Oak II were given to Lowell.


One of the many humorous vignette's at Red Oak.


I was on vacation with my parents to SW Missouri and ended up in this small town filled with these wonderful Victorian homes. While on vacation my parents bought one of these houses. So we went home, put the house up for sale, I quit my job and moved. When I first moved to Missouri I had no idea what I was going to do for work. Someone had told me about this little place outside of town that was owned by an artist and he had moved all these old places out there and fixed them up. It was free and you could just go and walk around and go in these old buildings. So my dad and I trucked out there one day to check it out. We ended up meeting Lowell Davis and his partner who also owned a home out there. He hired me to work in the General Store selling Lowell's artwork and the other unusual items in the store. This place was amazing. It had a peace and quit and beauty that I couldn't even begin to describe. How lucky was I to get to come here to work everyday. Lowell at the time sold prints of his originals, figurines and a couple of books he had written. Little did I know that he had a HUGE fan base as well and actually was the #2 figurine sales in the world behind Precious Moments (which also happens to be in this town). Selling his figurines was easy. The are humorous and well done. Lowell is a kind person, a little on the shy side and actually fairly quit. I worked out there until I opened the Tea Room. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Over the years many trials and tribulations happened out at Red Oak and at one time it was in pretty sad shape. But I am happy to say over the past few years many of the little homes and cabins are owned by individuals and it seems to be in a re-birth. Red Oak II was a very large place and huge expense for one person to keep up. There are way to many great homes that I haven't added.

No comments: