Thursday, May 26, 2011

More sadness

I learned today that a very sweet soul passed away in the tornado. His name was Randy Mell. He worked at our local courthouse for 19 years. He was a very hard working conscientious guy who would do anything for you. He was a loner of sorts, very shy and stuttered a bit which made him all the more endearing if you ask me. He was gentle, quiet and always helpful. I met Randy because I used to wait on him in my tearoom five days a week. Every single day for close to five years he came in and sat at the same table. Pretty much ordered the exact same thing everyday although he would read the menu from top to bottom for a good five minutes before ordering. The menu was the same menu but he would still insist on a menu. I even complained about this a couple times because I would want to get his order in and he would still be reading the menu. I was told to "Get over it" by my mom. It took a long time before I could him to speak to me. My mom would go over to him and talk to him and try to get him to talk a bit. He was never much of a talker. He supported us for five years and now I support him.
And of all things, Randy was a huge patron of the local arts. He went to every and I mean every High School Play in the area or any local theater for that matter. He went to most of the sports games as well. You name it locally, the man supported it. He would always go by himself and I doubt Randy had ever gone on a date in his life.
I tell you about Randy because he was one that people would probably ignore or automatically think was strange. He was probably considered one of the invisibles. I believe this because when he came up missing, the Commissioners of this town did not even bother to find out what had happened to him. I think in this life one person should say they were glad to know  Randy even if not well. I doubt anyone knew him well but he will be missed in the theater arts community even though they don't even know it. Fly high Randy!!

No comments: