Thursday, November 17, 2011

Home or Cemetery Plot?



You may wonder what the? Well let me explain by going back a little bit. When I was a kid I always wanted a two story house with a white picket fence. So when I was finally able to buy a house in my 30's I bought an old two story 4 square built in 1910. Way to big for my needs but I bought it anyway. Then when I realized the utilities were high and the big lot was a pain to keep mowed I decided to downsize. On and off I had the house listed for 6 years. Yes you heard me right! I guess no one else wanted this old house either. When I finally sold the house I bought myself a cute little 1000 sq ft house. Added my picket fence and arbors planted it full of roses and flowers. It was cute!! I put a lot of work and effort into the inside and outside of this little house and when I was done I felt pretty much "stick a fork in me done". I guess I was rather over the whole owning a home thing. It just really didn't do it for me. I felt scared all the time that I could possibly loose it if I lost my job or what would happen if something major went wrong and I didn't have the money to fix it. So I put the house up for sale and with the luck of the goddess sold it to the first couple who looked at it!! I felt no regrets as I moved into a wonderful rented duplex. After 18 years I am no longer a home owner and I have never felt more free and relaxed. I love going home to the little duplex. I don't have the home owner stress anymore. Yes I pay a little more for my monthly rent. Don't care. The peace of mind is worth the extra money for me personally. After all the years of owning both homes I actually lost money. The homes did not go up in value (even after all the improvements). The only thing that went up was my home owner insurance and my property taxes. So for me I listed my "grave site" and sold it.
I guess that leads me to the fact that when you buy your cemetery plot and they put you in it, you are not really there anyway. Your soul is long gone. When you own a home it is the same way, you work like a dog to keep it paid for and fill it with collections of accumulated "clutter". So here is a toast to my new "renters life". Have not slept this good in 18 years.

No comments: