Saturday, July 19, 2008

Tea & Truffles Tearoom and Gift Shop





Before moving to SW Missouri one of my dreams was to open a tearoom. I visted many while living in California, had a meeting with a professional there on how to open one, etc. I had been lucky enought to have all my other dreams come true so why not this one. Several months after moving to Missouri, a tearoom popped up on the historic square. I was a bit bummed because this woman got to it first. Well three months later the businees went up for sale. The woman was older and was having trouble with her health and family members health. So my mom and I bought it! Wow was that scary. Instant food business.
We started out keeping her menu and decor but soon changed almost everything. We used fine china, table clothes, cloth napkins. Actually brewed you a correct pot of tea and made the freshest food possible. My mom made the best chicken salad, several different kinds of quiche, soups and homemade pies to die for! We were an instant success. We were always busy, had plenty of repeat customers,were also on the Route 66 drive and had plenty of summer tourists. We met a lot of wonderful people from all over the world with this business. We worked six to seven days a week for five years and decided I got that dream out of my system. We closed the business several years ago now and yet almost daily someone will run into me and beg me to reopen.
Many tearooms have come and gone during and since our tearoom but none of them have lasted very long. We still ave a great love for tearooms and enjoy traveling and eating in different tearooms throughout the country.

No comments: